African Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ can (796ml) diced tomatoes
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 1 bunch chopped fresh cilantro or parsley (optional)
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion for about 8-10 minutes, until lightly browned. Mix in the garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and cloves. Stir in the tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and carrot and continue to cook and stir about 5 minutes.
- Pour vegetable broth into the saucepan, and season the mixture with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove the soup mixture from heat. In a food processor or blender, blend the soup until almost smooth. Return to the saucepan. Whisk in the peanut butter and coconut milk, and cook until heated through. Serve warm topped with fresh cilantro or parsley, if desired.