Australian Pavlova Dessert
A light and fluffy meringue-based dessert with a gooey marshmallow-like centre, this sumptuous treat is a melt-in-your mouth Aussie favourite. Topped with freshly whipped cream and your choice of tangy fruits or crumbled chocolate, this sweetest of desserts will quickly become a family favourite.
4 egg whites
pinch of salt
1 and 1/2 cups of sugar
1 and 1/2 tsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
1 and 1/4 cup whipped cream
fresh fruit (such as berries, passionfruit, banana, mango or crushed pineapple) or crumbled chocolate bar (such as Peppermint Crisp or Flake)
Prepare one day ahead as the pavlova needs to cool overnight.
- Heat oven to 300°F and line a tray with parchment paper.
- Place egg whites and pinch of salt in a mixing bowl and beat
until stiff peaks form.
- Add sugar 2 tablespoons at a time, beating for 2 minutes in
between, until sugar is fully dissolved.
- Remove from mixer and fold in vinegar and vanilla with a metal spoon.
- Place mixture onto the baking tray and lightly shape into a
circle approximately 8″ wide.
- Cook in an oven for 1 hour, then turn off the oven, but leave
the pavlova to cool overnight.
- Top with whipped cream and fresh fruit or crumbled
chocolate of your choice before serving.