(Warning: these are NOT fun facts)
Did you know, too many children living in poverty with disability are seen as broken, cursed, somehow less than human. These kids are the last to get medical care, the last to get education… is it any wonder, they’re too often the first to die.
Here are the sad facts:
- disability + poverty = poorer, forgotten kids and families
- 150 million children in our world have a disability
- 90% live in the poorest countries
- In the poorest countries and communities, 8 of 10 children born with a disability die before the 5th birthday
- Children born with disabilities are 4 times more likely to die than other children without disabilities in these same communities.
- Of those children with disabilities who survive, only 1 in 10 will get a chance to go to school.
- Of the children who live with an impairment, 1 in 5 are disabled because of malnutrition.
- For every child killed through armed violence, 100 are left with permanent disabilities.
- Children with disabilities are 3-4 times more likely to experience physical and sexual violence and neglect than non-disabled children.