<h1 style=”text-align: center;”>Indonesian Ayam Bakar Chicken</h1>
2 cloves of garlic, minced or chopped
1 tbs galangal, chopped
1 tbs ginger, chopped
1 tbs turmeric, chopped
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbs oil
1 stalk lemongrass, chopped white part only
1 kaffir lime leaf
2–3 cups water
3 tbs kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 tsp sugar
2 pieces of chicken maryland (thigh and drumstick)
1. Blend shallots, garlic, galangal, ginger, turmeric, coriander seeds, cumin seeds into a fine spice paste, then fry in vegetable oil in a large pot for 5 minutes on medium heat until fragrant.
2. Add lemongrass, kaffir lime leaf, water, kecap manis, salt and sugar and bring to boil.
3. Add chicken and make sure that it is submerged in the sauce. Simmer on low heat for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge overnight.
4. To cook, transfer the chicken to a hot grill pan.
5. Leave sauce in the pot and bring to boil, then simmer until reduced to a thick paste.
6. Brush paste on the chicken and grill until skin is caramelised.
7. Serve with rice and sambal chilli.